What is Natural Movement ?
Because our lifestyles are often sedentary (yes even if you exercise regularly, what are you doing for the other 23 hours of the day?), we no longer get this range of natural movement in our lives. As a result, our muscles, our joints, our bodies are weaker and out of alignment.
Why is it Good For Pregnancy & Birth?
Your marathon training would include a lot of running - using those movements and muscles that you will use in the marathon. The same applies to birth. You need to practice and use the movements and muscles for giving birth to ensure an optimal performance.
Here's a couple of facts for you:
- During pregnancy, your cardiac output increases by nearly 45% plus another 50% on top of that during labour. Similar to the increase during a marathon.
- During labour, your oxygen consumption is similar to that of a sportsperson playing a game of soccer! (1)
Natural movement can solve a myriad of problems. It helps to improve:
- your muscle tension
- pelvic stability
- body alignment
- your pelvic floor
- your baby's position in your womb and
- your pelvic space available for giving birth
- the length of your labour and birth
Heck, it can even give you more time in your day!
What Movements Can You Do?
You may also be interested in the Spinning Babies Daily Essentials: Activitites for Pregnancy Comfort & Easier Birth. Available to purchase on Vimeo
Your Pelvic Floor
Here is more information on just what exactly your pelvic floor is and how you can look after it.
- “BIRTH IS LIKE A MARATHON” REVISITING CHILDBIRTH BY USING SPORT BIOMECHANICS APPROACHES David Desseauve, Laetitia Fradet, Patrick Lacouture, Fabrice Pierre https://ojs.ub.uni-konstanz.de/cpa/article/view/6396/5764